Monday, May 22, 2006

Rain...

Physics and meterology tell us it is the change in barometric pressure that we first sense, regarding the immenent rainfall. The clouds are liars when it comes to predicting just the moment when it will rain. However, if you pay attention you will sense the change in the atmosphere just before it rains. The barometric pressure drops, you can see and hear more clearly, and your sense of smell is often exaggerated.

But something else detects the rain first...something that is difficult to find a definition of, or an explanation for. I suspect it is some ancestral or vestigal ability. It is perhaps one of the few unbidden moments of Zen-like intuition that does not require meditation, but merely existence.

The rain begins. Most often just a few over-achieving drops that have surged ahead of the crowd, desperate for their cataclismic arrival on Earth. Sometimes the intensity builds, and other times it is like the softest of cloths, smothering you in some kind of aural embrace.

I sit at the edge of the deck, listening to the various sounds as the rain strikes different surfaces in the back yard. The deep thrumming of the rain falling off of the roof onto the large broad leaves of some unnamed plant, the soft and consistant drum against the wooden deck, and the various flat, untuned barks as individual drops collide with various rocks in my back yard.

The temperature actually rises ever so slightly when it rains, as this exchange of energy pays homage to the laws of thermodynamics. But my pulse usually slows, as I focus on hearing each raindrop.

Finally, when I feel the moment is just right, I close my eyes and begin to walk between the rain drops...

10 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger lecram sinun said...

Mustang, you are quite the scribe and poet, my friend. Let's not go months without another one.

 
At 7:02 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger jade ed girl said...

That was beautiful. I know that feeling. It's an amazing sensation... just the connection to it. Well said.

 
At 10:07 AM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Mustang said...

Thanks...I will try.

M

 
At 11:37 AM, May 23, 2006, Blogger lime said...

i came to visit at lecram's suggestion. quite the imagery there. really wonderful.

 
At 1:27 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger KFarmer said...

I agree w/the rest-I'm glad I stopped by, I enjoyed your story, and I read your entire blog and wish you would right more- you and the bunny that is :)

 
At 2:10 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Mustang said...

lime..thank you.

gloria jean..children have less to get in the way with their thinking, I suspect. Yes, it is.

kfarmer..thank you, I will try and write more.

 
At 8:48 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger airplanejayne said...

Mustang -- great raindrops!!! I, too, love to sit and watch/listen/live the rain.

 
At 6:38 AM, May 24, 2006, Blogger 212degreedesigns said...

im going to be selfish, and honest.
you don't have to post ever again,...

if you promise to email me at least once a week.

throughout my day,.. several times a days,.. i long for something to feed my soul...

words put in just thr right order, or at the right pitch sometimes,..
to quit the longing and wanting i sometimes end up knee deep in...

sometimes i find another soul, who speaks just so, and lules me away,.. but sometimes,.. it's a blog post about rain,.. or strangers cats,.. or something the likes of.

i like the way you think.

 
At 10:05 PM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Mustang said...

To all...

Thank you. Lecram is far to generous. I will write as time and the Bunny permits.

M

 
At 9:25 PM, May 30, 2006, Blogger ScarySquirrelMan said...

so maybe it's the bunny that inhibits you. perhaps try tossing it a couple of times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home