Wednesday, October 25, 2006


Wonder...

Despite my personal opinions on religion, it is still possible to enter a church and simply marvel at the wonderous nature of man. While in Paris, we visited St. Chapelle, a small church in the courtyard of the Federal Courts building, about 4 blocks from Notre Dame (thanks to Generik for the tip...). Even on an overcast day, the light that streams through all this stained glass almost has a sound to it...

Gawking is such a crude word, but it does convey the feeling.

It is at times like this, that even though I don't have a god, I think of the innocents who have died before they should have and in that tiny part of my soul that still harbors some compassion for humanity, I hope that there is one to take care of these people.

I took many color photos in the chapel. Zen teaches that words too often do not adequately convey a feeling (good sex or a good joke requires no explanation, nor are there any words that would suffice if you attempted to do so) and so I tried some black and white. For whatever reason, the meaningfulness of this place seems to resonate best in black and white. When I look a this photo, I can almost imagine this place in 1945..late winter, the war has ended, and people gather to remember Christmas.

Regardless of your own beliefs, as the year approaches ends, perhaps keep this picture in mind and find some friends and charish this greatest of gifts amongst humans, and find a way to be just a bit nicer to each other.

Mustang

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger lecram sinun said...

Beautiful... both the pic and the write. Cheers!

 
At 12:35 PM, October 26, 2006, Blogger Katie :) said...

That picture is amazing.
I can totally understand what you are saying about feeling like you can connect with someplace at a different time period.

 
At 6:31 PM, October 26, 2006, Blogger Mustang said...

What I found most amazing KT was the quality of the light inside the chapel. The color photo's can only capture the image at the interface (the glass itself). However, as shafts of light made their way through the clouds outside, there were little cylinders of nearly incandescent light erupting up in the top portions of the building.

I know the physics behind what I saw, but that does not change how I felt when I saw it...

M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home