Thursday, October 26, 2006



Symmetry...

Berlin..the Holocaust Memorial..a somber, quiet place. It was difficult to understand why all these concrete blocks, arranged in rows, varying in height and placement, would represent some kind of feeling about the Holocaust.

I walked quietly amongst the blocks, searching for something, anything that would reverberate such that these simple geometric blocks made sense. Nothing..and then...something. Shadows on corners, edges next to light/dark....light and dark. I had it.

For me, it was the contrasts between the light and dark sides of the blocks. Blocks of essentially the same shape, but some bigger and smaller...like people. When superimposed on each other, they generated a geometric pattern, a symmetry if you would. It was then that the differences in the color of each side struck me..some dark..some light.

Perhaps the purpose of these blocks, at the right time and place, with just the right light, is to remind us that we are all the same, and yet...still capable of having both a light and dark side. It is tempting to expound upon the light and dark side of human nature..and foolish. For me, suffice it to say that at times our dark side rules the view, and it is our responsibility to shine the bright light of day on the scene, such that as a whole, we can tell the difference between the two.

Mustang.

3 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, October 27, 2006, Blogger lecram sinun said...

I discovered a while back that is as important to embrace our dark side as much as we aspire to the light. Without one the other could not exist. But... that is a discussion for another time. Cheers!

 
At 12:33 AM, October 30, 2006, Blogger Semi-Gloss Lacquer said...

you have noooo idea how controversial that memorial was, and what they had to go through to build it according to the designer's specs, (and I think even then they had to change it a bit.) -then again, maybe you do.
It's cool to hear a first hand account from someone who communicates so well.
Personally, I find the piece to be Brilliant, -and one of the real triumphs of each person being able to experience the memorial, and feel it deeply, -without having to be told what to feel.
-thanks for this post.
-Eric

 
At 5:23 AM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Cosima said...

It's very interesting to read the experience of another person going through the holocaust memorial. For me it was the feeling of disorientation and fear in a field of orderly geometry, that touched me most. The first time I went with my little son, who ran through the memorial wanting to play hide and seek. At one point I didn't see him anymore, and thought I had lost him.

Yes, there were discussions and criticism before the memorial was built, but I think that was a necessary part of the process.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home