Sunday, May 13, 2007

Inheritence…

It is here, in the birthplace of stars, where hydrogen and sodium atoms glow in the warm breath of x-ray and gamma rays, that I find some understanding of mortality. As I stare into the beauty of the sky, I finally grasp the futility of the moment. I shall never be closer than this to seeing what I am seeing now. This is as good as it will ever be, and no more.

And yet, I understand. I am looking forward into the past. The light my eyes see, that sets my soul dancing, is ancient. These deep blues and golds have been travelling for billions of years to reach me, and tell me their story. I will never live long enough to come any closer to those amazing places, and yet I can describe the path to where they are. I will never see them in my time, but only the ancient echo of what they were, and are not now. They do not know me, and yet I can see them when they were young, and not see them when they are older. The paradox of space and time…

So this is our inheritence. To know what is and will be, to see what was and might be, and to find the grace to accept our place as an observer rather than a participant in the grand scheme of things. And, to pass along to those that are behind us the knowledge that we have, and most importantly to tell them to keep looking.

Mustang

7 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, May 13, 2007, Blogger lecram sinun said...

I have always found it a wondrous idea that we can look so far back in time just from gazing at the cosmos.

Cheers!

 
At 7:50 AM, May 14, 2007, Blogger Katie :) said...

knowledge is wonderful.

 
At 11:18 PM, May 14, 2007, Blogger airplanejayne said...

I miss the telescope!!!!

 
At 10:57 AM, May 17, 2007, Blogger Katie :) said...

I am very interested- what is the ticket worth????

 
At 12:46 PM, May 17, 2007, Blogger Katie :) said...

you're kidding me right?
HOLY COW- yeah if you decide to nto go I am so game! :)

 
At 1:22 PM, May 17, 2007, Blogger ScarySquirrelMan said...

the beauty of the past is that it will remain alive for so long as we remember to remember. the past only dies when no one is left to commemorate it.
and i think katie meant to say: ticket good.

 
At 9:40 PM, December 15, 2008, Blogger william harning said...

Your nobody till somebody loves you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home